On March 8, the world observed International Women’s Day (IWD), an annual celebration of women and their achievements. Observed since the early 1900s, this year’s theme was #PressforProgress, particularly relevant following the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements. Despite continued advancement for women, there is still much to do before we reach gender parity worldwide.
Business is one area that continues to undergo significant change as we address inequality and sexism in the workplace, such as access to work for women, unconscious bias and discriminatory practices, the gender pay gap, and flexibility around work and home life.
To celebrate International Women’s Day, we found ten business related Ted talks by women that we think are worth watching. Great for all genders, grab a tea (or a wine) and take a break with these inspiring women.
1. Know your worth, and then ask for it - Casey Brown
2. My year of saying yes to everything - Shonda Rhimes
3. What it takes to be a great leader - Roselinde Torres
4. Forget the pecking order at work - Margaret Heffernan
5. Grit: The power of passion and perseverance - Angela Lee Duckworth
6. Why we have too few women leaders - Sheryl Sandberg
7. The career advice you probably didn't get - Susan Colantuono
8. The future of money - Neha Narula
9. The power of believing that you can improve - Carol Dweck
10. Dare to disagree - Margaret Heffernan
We found so many other amazing Ted talks delivered by women speakers that we couldn’t help adding them here. While not necessarily business related, they cover grit, happiness, and diversity.
If I should have a daughter... - Sarah Kay
I got 99 problems... Palsy is just one - Maysoon Zayid
How to make stress your friend - Kelly McGonigal
There's more to life than being happy - Emily Esfahani Smith